Monday, November 4, 2013

Vacation Day 1 - Looking Glass Rock Trail


Well after going through the task of getting my work issues squared away its time to take a week off. Normally I like to take a two week active vacation that includes hiking, camping, and cycling, but due to work schedule an general laziness I'm not in shape to go on a normal trip. So I've decided to spend the week in Asheville visiting my family and hiking some of my favorite trails; many of which I have not been on in years.

Today's hike was on the Looking Glass Rock trail. It has been over 5 years since I last hiked this trail.  Normally this trail is too crowded for me to enjoy myself, but with it being Monday and out of peak leaf season it wasn't too bad. I passed a number of people coming back down the trail, but I had the top to myself for about an hour.



Still some color clinging to the trees that are sheltered and lower in elevation. This is my favorite time to be in the woods as sight lines open up.


This is your reward for the 3 mile moderate climb up the mountain. What I love about this view is that  you are looking up to mountains 3,000+ feet higher than the summit of Looking Glass Rock. It also includes views of some of the valleys and ridge lines that make up some of my favorite hikes and bike rides in Pisgah.



Looking back towards the Pisgah Ridge and the pinnacle of Mt. Pisgah.


Black Balsam and Tennet Mountain are the highest ridges furthest back in this picture. I will be hiking a portion of the Art Loeb Trail that runs between these two mountains later in the week.



Unlike Stone Mountain where I hiked last weekend the rock face of Looking Glass is much shorter and steeper. Not a good place to be when it is wet or icy.




One of the famous white squirrels, not albino, from the area around Brevard, NC.

Plan for tomorrow is to visit the Boogerman of the Smoky's.

No comments:

Post a Comment